March 02, 2010

Grilling In The Snow

I used to dream of white Christmases, snowy winters, sledding, skiing...snow angels. Growing up in Oklahoma, we were lucky to get a couple inches of slushy snow a year. Just enough to run out and erect a tiny and dingy snowman before it melted away in the 70 degree weather the following day. Snow was something to look forward to.


As I'm sure many of you are experiencing, this year in North Carolina we are the victims of an uncharacteristic and insurmountable snow storm. 2 1/2 months of consistent snowfall. The first week was great! The kids missed a couple days of school. We walked down the street to a park with a steep bank and sledded to our heart's content. But now, after weeks of bone-chilling temperatures, weeks of deary, endless, gray skies, and of murky layers of frozen slush...I'm OVER the snow!


Sunshine is important. I need it--NEED IT! I'm a firm believer in the idea that changes in the barometric pressure can influence your mood. For someone who is usually light-hearted and loves to laugh, I feel trapped, lethargic, and just plain grouchy!



Please know, I am not comparing my winter sorrows to the plight of our bleak economy, or the horrific turmoils going on in our world today. I'm just whining a little. I apologize.


In desperate need of some vitamin D and an attitude check, I've done the few things I can, to lighten our spirits.

1. Look at photos of how happy we are playing in the snow. (Favorites above.)

2.Listen to what I would consider "summertime" music.

3. For the kids energy level and my sanity, I brought the small inflatable jump-castle Santa brought us a few years ago IN THE HOUSE.

4. Cook "springy" or "summery" meals.

5. Pray for spring...

That's it. That's all I can do...but it has helped a little. This week I even ventured out to grill. I have to say, it gave me a chuckle to huddle outside in the snow with a spatula, in hopes of lifting our morale.

We grilled Pineapple-Chorizo Burgers with Spicy Potato Wedges. I hope the kick of chorizo and pico de gillo, combined with grilled sweet pineapples will bring joy to your taste buds, and warm your soul as well!

If you want to see the sunshine, you have to weather the storm.  Frank Lane


Sommer

Pineapple-Chorizo Burgers


½ lb. chorizo
1 ¼ lbs. ground pork
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried oregano

1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
Prepared fresh pineapple
Store-bought Pico de Gillo or chunky salsa
4-6 soft sandwich rolls

I like to save time on this recipe by buying pre-made fresh salsa and pre-cut fresh pineapple! If you want to make your own salsa and trim your own pineapple--knock yourself out!


Preheat the grill to high heat. In a large bowl, combine the chorizo, pork, garlic, Worcestershire, salt, thyme and oregano. Work the chorizo through pork mixture.

 

Divide the mixture into 4-6 portions, then shape it into patties.

 

Carefully slice the pineapple into ½ inch rounds.


Grill the patties 3 minutes per side for six, or 5 minutes per side for four patties.

 

Next, grill the pineapple slices for 2 minutes per side.

 

Toast the buns on the grill for 1 minute.

 

Remove the avocado from the peel, then slice 1/4 inch thick.

To assemble: place the patty on the bottom bun, followed by the pineapple, avocado slices, and the Pico on top. Cover with the bun and enjoy!

Serves 4-6.

Spicy Potato Wedges

2 lbs. peeled potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
2 Tb. canola or veggie oil
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
Cayenne and Pepper

Preheat the oven to 450*. Cut large potatoes into 8 wedges and small potatoes into 6 wedges. Toss the potatoes in the canola oil, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with cayenne pepper and black pepper.

 

Roast until the potatoes are soft, but the skins are brown and crispy in spots—45-50 minutes. Turn the potatoes at least once.


The potato wedges are great with Chili Sauce or Aioli!

5 comments:

  1. Am Food Blog Surfing, and came across your site.
    Beatiful Pictures of your family and sweet dog
    in the snow. The Burgers look deeeelish, as
    do the Potato's. Wanted to give you a shout
    out here from the Oregon Coast, and hope the
    snow goes away soon. Stay Warm, Keep Your Head
    Up...And wish You and Your family the Best---
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the photos. Beautiful photography. All the food look delicious....mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. To those of you registered to receive emails...is anyone having an issue with the text going over the photos? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These burgers have got to be my favorite burgers of all time! It doesn't matter what time of year it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sommer, I love your blog. What beautiful photos and great looking recipes! It just wouldn't be fitting for someone with a name like yours to be a fan of cold winters! You're very brave to have grilled in the snow, but I know how you feel. Blessings to you and your beautiful family. Laura's Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time. If you have a question, I'll get back to you ASAP!