June 16, 2010

That Man Can Cook!

Spicy Coconut French Toast...


My husband is adorable. He is! It's amazing how a person's quirky little behaviors can develop into all the reasons you love them! Let me tell you about his kitchen habits.

First of all, he says he LOVES to cook, then tags on, "But why would I do it, when YOU do it so much better!" A compliment and cop-out rolled into one. He does however, make dinner a couple times a year. This is how it plays out. One random evening he casually states, "Babe, I'm going to cook for you tonight!" "Great!" I reply. Then he rushes off to the store to spend WAY too much money on one meal. He comes home, loaded down with bags, and bustles around the kitchen for HOURS...and hours. Every time I peek into the kitchen, he tilts his head, gives me a half-cocked smile and says, "It's almost ready." By the time it actually IS ready, I have fed the kids (PB&J) and tucked them into bed. Then we sit down for a lavish dinner and he critiques his dishes and technique throughout the whole meal! It's very cute...maybe you have to be there to understand!

One area where he truly excels is breakfast making. He actually makes breakfast as much, if not more, than I do. He'll come downstairs on any given morning and starts cracking the eggs. In fact, he would probably tell you his signature dish is Steak and Eggs. Anytime our "guy friends" come over, that's what he serves them. It doesn't matter what time of day (or night), they eat steak and eggs. They seem to like it because they keep coming back!

Every now and again, he gets really creative when making breakfast for the family. He likes to experiment with egg dishes and french toast. We have had an occasional egg-disaster, but usually his breakfasts are quite good. A couple of weeks ago he came up with the idea of putting cayenne and coconut together in his french toast. Genius...I married a genius! I'm a big fan of a sweet and spicy combo, so in my book this was just perfect!

When I make french toast, I usually use some sort of whole-grain bread and take it easy on the fat.  Daddy's version is not what we'd call "health food", but I suggest you make it as is without trying to lighten it up. It will definitely taste better!  The bread should be thick white bread so it stand up to the egg mixture, but doesn't compete with the other flavors. Also, don't skimp on the oil! The idea is to create an ultra-crispy exterior with a moist, almost custard-like interior. It takes a decent amount of oil to create this effect.


If you've been following ASP, you've probably noticed I have a thing for quotes. I couldn't decide on ONE marriage quote, so here are a few to ponder!

Sommer

Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate. ~Barnett R. Brickner

A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers. ~Ruth Bell Graham

A first-rate marriage is like a first-rate hotel: expensive, but worth it. ~Mignon McLaughlin


Why does a woman work ten years to change a man's habits and then complain that he's not the man she married? ~Barbra Streisand


Spicy Coconut French Toast

1 cup whole milk
4 eggs
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. sugar
½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper (less if sensitive to heat)
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 loaf French bread, sliced 1 inch thick
1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
Oil of frying, I used coconut oil
Pure Maple Syrup for serving

Heat a large skillet to medium. Whisk the first seven ingredients together in a baking dish or large bowl.


Pour the coconut onto a plate. Pour enough oil in the skillet to completely coat the bottom. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture for 15-20 seconds per side.


Then dip the slices in the coconut on both sides for an even coat.


When the oil is hot (slightly smoking), start frying one slice as a test batch. Cook for 1 minute per side. Watch for a crispy golden-brown crust. The coconut may turn a deep brown, but avoid BLACK! If the coconut burns before the crust has formed, turn the heat down a little.


Add more oil as needed and continue with the rest of the bread. Serve warm with maple syrup and berries!


Serves 4-6.


Spicy Coconut French Toast on Foodista

40 comments:

  1. What a funny post. You made me laugh. Mine does the same with waffles in the morning but he would never spend a lot of money at the supermarket. His challenge is to "empty the frezzer!". That is our special dinner.
    Your marriage quotes are so true!
    Great post, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh, your husband is so sweet. I know exactly what you're talking about "Steak and Eggs". I would love to try this, my husband love french toast, maybe he can make them for me.
    Thank you for sharing your husbands recipe and your marriage quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, Dan is ......."adorable"! But if all else fails he can make a mean martini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I was thinking "How come nobody does French Toast any more?" This should be Texas French Toast with all that cayenne pepper!
    A little advice: I'd say keep that guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny - and sweet - very fortunate y'all are. This a great toast - who doesn't like French Toast?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, now, I'm a little jealous. Hubs never cooks for me, ever! *sigh*

    This is pretty out-of-the-box and a must try! I love the photos. They seem so dynamic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ... coconut ... so simple, so obvious, but i never would have thought of that in a zillion years.


    Someone needs to invent an app so i can bookmark all of everyone else's recipes into one convenient, searchable format. I know, I could just bookmark them on my browser, but it needs to be searchable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the FoodBuzz tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap you're my favorite person. This is AMAAAAAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so making this, strange thing is French Toast is also my hubbies go to - he loves making it. I really cant wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The man in my life also dominates breakfast and he has recently been teaching me to overcome my fear of eggs. But french toast is something I am good at and this recipe is super creative. Tell your husband THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sommer, what a great post. The part about your husband going to the store, spending to much and spending hours in the kitchen reminded me of my boyfriend. He does the same thing.

    The french toast looks amazing. The coconut and cayenne is GENIUS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, does this french toast look good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny about your husband! I love that you used french bread in this recipe, it is pretty and looks really tasty. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a unique and delicious french toast! I love the addition of coconut and cayenne pepper! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy reading every line in this post. A great review of your husband's culinary adventure. A very familiar story to me.

    And adding coconut to french toast is a great idea! I must tell this to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where do I begin? Your spicy coconut french toast post has it all, first off it sounds like a super recipe, second, it has a great story, including marriage quotes and don't forget great step by step photos with directions, I hope you can tell I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post! Brian is great at breakfast as well and yes, he is a good cook, but also says why should he try when I'm always one step ahead of him in planning meals? This French toast looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. reading your post I was thinking if we are married to twins, my husband loves making breakfast, and he's really good at, but when is a special day and he decides to make dinner it takes him all day to make something I would have made in about 1 hour.
    thanks for the coconut french toast recipe and the marriage quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That Spicy French Toast sounds delicious! I loved this post, my husband is very similar, breakfast is his specialty too. Just signed up to follow you - stop by and visit sometime at www.stephaniesavorsthemoment.com. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. another great post Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seems like you have the perfect husband, can I borrow him :o) ??? LOL
    Those are definitely great toasts especially with the addition of coconut! a cooking husband and coconut French toasts are a great combo to me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing. This is a must try! I can definitely see this on a brunch menu.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your post.. it kinda reminds me of my husband! The only difference is that my husband only can make pancakes and french toast! But I still love it when he makes something for me :) Great recipe..kudos to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved your post today. Your husband sounds like a charming man - at least he tries :-). The French toast looks delicious and you were able to get some great pictures of it. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very intriguing recipe and OMG you're so lucky to have a man who cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This post is great; first of all it is heartening to see loving married couples; also I love this French toast with the coconut. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! Your toasts are absolutely, absolutely gorgeous ! The toasts look great and tasty...very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. And congrats for the adorable husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. How sweet of your hubby , my hubby cooks sometimes, but makes such a mess, oh ya my hubby loves to make steak and eggs, yum..I love this french toast, I think sometimes you have to indulge, and what a great way to with this treat

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cute post! It sounds a lot like my house...my husband cooks full fat, mostly breakfasts and takes a little longer than I would have expected to finish :) This looks like a great recipe non-the-less! How lucky are we to have such awesome husbands?

    ReplyDelete
  32. That looks really good! And I have to say, I love the "you cook so much better" excuse. Cute, but sly.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a precious post Sommer! I loved reading about the evening Hubby decides to fix dinner and the way you get the kids into bed with PB&J :)

    The cayenne pepper and coconut flakes on the french toast is fab! Also totally agree with you on the - don't skimp on the oil/better. Right you are!

    Hugs, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  34. How sweet! I'm a fan of french toast - loving the cayenne pepper and coconut flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My hubby is the Scrambled Egg King ! Don't you love this side of them :)
    Its funny in France its called 'pain perdu' or lost bread and not as popular as you think but on a cold winter day this is my comfort food. Love anything that has coconut on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Men... bless! But who cares when you are sitting down to this fabulous French Toast. I love your twists on the classics Sommer. Too clever.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is so great! I'd completely agree that this is a genius combination of flavours!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time. If you have a question, I'll get back to you ASAP!