April 16, 2010

Salad...A Matter Of Faith

Grilled Fattoush...the Lebanese answer to the Italian panzanella.


Spring is definitely my FAVORITE season. Budding flowers, new limey-green grass shooting up everywhere, the return of migrating birds...all promises of better weather and flourishing life. I love to plant seeds in the spring. I'm no master gardener, mind you, but I can handle a deck-full of herb pots.

I believe a little faith is required for gardening. Faith after all, is just a deep hope in things unseen. You sprinkle the tiny kernels over the freshly stirred soil, water, and hope beyond all hopes that tomatoes, dill, and basil will emerge. Yes, there is evidence from previous years that this will be the outcome...but you still have no tangible proof in the moment of planting...you just believe.

Spring also brings about another area requiring faith. This time of year, I start to think about what we will do this summer. Picnics, trips to the lake or the coast...this calls for bathing suit shopping. HERE IT IS--the moment I decide we need to incorporate more "dinner salads" into our weekly menu! Salad--definitely a matter of faith. We HOPE. We BELIEVE, that if enough salad is substituted for starchy side dishes, bathing suit shopping--and the whole summer--will be a better experience. We act on our faith (or at least I do) and select large salads for our family's weekly menu. This takes a little adjustment at first, but with enough variation and a little flair, everyone comes around!

Besides faith, variety is the key to sticking with ANYTHING! Salads must be diverse and flavorful, if I don't want my family to slump into the kitchen, with begrudging sighs at meal time. I have spent a substantial amount of time finding and creating salads that I think will draw some interest. Fattoush is a Lebanese salad I stumbled across several years ago. A chunky, chop salad mixed with feta cheese and pieces of toasted pita, then tossed with a simple lemon vinaigrette! I've taken to grilling some of the veggies before tossing them in with the salad because it enhances their flavor and appearance. Peppers, for instance, are much sweeter and vibrant looking with a little char.

This is great on it's own, but as long as the grill's hot, I usually throw on some fish to go along with the fattoush!

Happy Cooking!
Sommer


Grilled Fattoush

Olive oil
4 zucchini
2 peppers, red and/or yellow
3 pita breads
1 ½ cups cucumber, peeled and chopped into ¾ inch cubes
1 large tomato, chopped
¾ cup green onions, chopped
1 cup pitted or halved kalamata olives
½ cup fresh chopped mint
¼ cup chopped parsley
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese

¼ cup olive oil
1 juicy lemon, squeezed
1 tsp. cumin
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the grill to high. Half the zucchinis, length-wise and cut the peppers into large chunks and remove seeds.


Separate the layers of the pitas to make 6 pita circles.


Drizzle olive oil over the zucchini, peppers and pitas and salt and pepper them. Roll them around, to make sure they have a good coat of oil. Grill the veggies for about 2-3 minutes per side, until nice grill marks have formed and the veggies are slightly tender. Then grill the pitas, for 1 minute per side, until toasty.


In a large serving bowl, add all the other veggies and herbs.


Once the grilled veggies have cooled, chop them into ¾ inch cubes and add them to the serving bowl.


Break the pitas into bite-size pieces and add to the mix. Toss the salad and sprinkle the feta over the top.
Mix ¼ cup of olive oil and the juice of one lemon in a small bowl. Season with cumin, salt and pepper and whisk. Drizzle over the salad when ready to serve! Serves 4-6.


Grilled Fattoush on Foodista

15 comments:

  1. your fattoush salad looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fattoush looks amazing...one of my favorites to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for a salad ideas. I love the ingredients you've combined here. Colorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks wonderful.....what a great way to serve veggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! Bookmarked for some night this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salads, could eat them twice daily -- have to convince the man of the house to do the same.....I think this one will work for the Pops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, Sommer! I am always looking for new salad ideas, and I love mint and feta together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have been reading your blog for a while... but this fattoush salad was enough to bring me out of lurkdom! It's one of the best I've seen. Will be keeping it in mind for when tomatoes are back in season here in Wisconsin -- which is when salad REALLY rules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh -- and I wanted to ask. What type of feta do you usually like to use for your salad? French, Greek, Domestic? Brined?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me begin by saying I LOVE fatoush but by grilling the veggies you have certainly taken it up a notch!

    The colors and flavors in your fatoush are stunning!!!

    Fantastic :)

    Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lo-

    I usually by Greek feta because that's what I can find that is the freshest. We have a large Greek population here, and sometimes I can get locally-made feta at the farmer's market! Use whatever variety you like best! Thanks for the question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made this last night for a neighborhood party--it looked so good when I saw it yesterday that I revamped what I had planned on making for the party. Boy, am I glad I did. It was excellent, and I even added some grilled eggplant to it. Thanks for your awesome recipe Sommer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fattoush is one of my favourite salads - yours looks great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful! I also love the fiesta ware. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time. If you have a question, I'll get back to you ASAP!